Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SharePoint 2007 and Event Id: 6482 and 6398

I recently ran into 2 strange errors when deploying a SharePoint server. It so happens that this error occurred just after deploying the Adobe x64 iFilter pack.

Event ID: 6482 - Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (GUID).

Reason: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040D1B

And

Event ID: 6398

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.IndexingScheduleJobDefinition (GUID) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040D1B

As a result, I was unable to navigate to the Search Settings in the default SSP.

It turns out that I had 2 duplicate entries in the registry for the Adobe PDF file type.
Check out the registry key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Applications\GUID\Gather\Portal_Content\Extensions\ExtensionList


I removed one of them and we were off again.

This will happen when you add the file type by hand in the registry and then add it as a File Type in the SSP Host web application.

I hope it helps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you! u saved me!

doitright said...

Thank u, u saved me!

Nathan Gropman said...

Glad I could help.